Contemplating divorce but not sure you're ready? The best way to deal with marital problems is to file for a legal separation. This tutorial will take you step by step through this difficult, emotional process.
You Will Need
• Internet access
• Required paperwork
• Law officers
• Notary public
• Do-it-yourself legal kit (optional)
• Lawyer (optional)
Step 1: Meet residency requirements
Meet your state's residency requirements. Laws vary from state to state, so check your state's court website.
Step 2: Decide legal representation
Decide if you need to hire a lawyer or are willing and able to file the paperwork on your own.
Reasonably priced do-it-yourself legal kits are available for purchase online.
Step 3: Complete paperwork
Complete the necessary paperwork. Include provisions for the custody of children, child support and alimony payments, division of property, and current financial obligations.
A legal separation is binding in the eyes of the courts and could dictate an eventual divorce decree. Take care when filling out the paperwork.
Step 4: Serve papers
Arrange to have law officers serve your spouse with the separation papers.
Step 5: File the paperwork
File the paperwork, with notarized signatures, if both parties are in agreement. A judge will need to decide the matter if a spouse contests any part of the petition.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades